Self-assessment Tax Returns

What Date Do I Need To Submit My Self Assessment Tax Returns?

Christmas is over and the decorations come down. New year’s resolutions are made but for some, the 31st of January looms on the horizon; This is the final date each year that self-assessment forms have to be submitted to HRMC if you are doing it online.

If you are still doing paper returns then they have to be submitted by 31st October of each year.

The tax year runs from the 6th of April of the previous year to the 5th of April in the present year. So, for example, self-assessment tax returns for 6th April 2017 to 5th April 2018 need to be submitted by 31st October 2018 for paper returns and 31st January 2019 for online returns.

As usual with tax matters, there are some exceptions to the rules:

If you pay tax by PAYE and also need to submit a self-assessment you can opt to have any overdue tax, less than £2000, collected by PAYE the following year provided you submit your forms by 30th December. Allowing you to spread the payment rather than making one lump sum.

If you’re self-employed and pay your tax through payment on account 31st July is the date for your second payment.

What happens if I file my tax returns late?

1 day late incurs a fine of £100.

Up to 3 months late, £10 is then charged for each additional day after the first up to a maximum of £1000.

6 months late, £300 or 5% of the tax due (whichever is larger) on top of the £1000 already fined.

12 months late, an additional £300 or 5% of the tax due will be added to the above. 

In some serious cases, you may be fined 100% of the tax bill due, meaning you pay double what you originally owe.

Who has to submit a self-assessment form?

Self-assessment forms have to be filled out by the following people:

  • Self-employed people
  • Business partners
  • Company Directors
  • Complicated taxpayers (including higher rate payers) not covered by PAYE
  • Landlords and people who receive rent from properties
  • Trustees and personal representatives
  • Trustees of self-appointed pension schemes
  • Non-resident company landlords

Unsure as to whether you need to fill in a self-assessment form? Call us and we can advise you: Phone: 0121 456 1000

How do I register for self-assessment?

The first thing you’ll need to do is to register online, with HRMC, for self-assessment. You will then have to wait for the 10 digit UTC to arrive in the post when you can return to complete the registration. You will also receive a UTR when you register a limited company.

If you have registered previously but missed a year, you can use the same UTR as before. Here is HRMCs advice on finding a lost UTR.

You will need your UTR, Unique Taxpayer Reference to register, then you pick from one of the following options:

  • Register as self-employed
  • Register as not self-employed (Other taxable income to declare)
  • Register as a partner or partnership

Need help registering or got a question, speak to us.

What other information will I find online for self-assessment?

Once you’ve registered and confirmed your UTC, you will be able to choose how you send your returns, by post or online.

You will also find help and guidance on filling in your self-assessment tax returns online.

And of course, you can make a payment.

Why should I use an accountant for my self-assessment tax returns?

  1. A to Z Accountants will make sure you are registered correctly.
  2. We will always make sure your returns are submitted on time.
  3. Our accountants are experienced experts who know how to fill in the forms correctly.
  4. We can make sure you pay the right amount of tax and no more than you need to.
  5. A to Z Accountants will make sure all tax allowances and deductions are claimed.
  6. Less paperwork for yourself.
  7. The cost of paying us is less than the fine you could incur for wrongly filling in your forms.
  8. We have software that we can access to make the job easier.

Get in Touch Today for Help With Self-assessment Tax Returns!

We use all our experience and expertise to make sure you are compliant with HRMC and not paying any more tax than you need to. If you are convinced and would like to discuss our self-assessment tax services or if your not and have a burning question call us:

Tel: 0121 456 1000 Fax: 0121 456 3000 Email: or fill in the form on our contact page and we’ll get right back to you.

A to Z Accountants is based in Edgbaston Birmingham but has loyal clients up and down the country. We offer our services at an affordable price and are here to give advice on all your financial needs.